- Friday July 30th, 2010 @ 0:00
PAST PAT‚ÄôS PLAYERS ACKNOWLEDGED BY CLUB
Last Sunday at the Airtricity League game against Sporting Fingal a number of former Saints' players were acknowledged when they received a special presentation from the club for their services to St Patrick's Athletic FC.
With the deputy lord mayor Councillor Larry O'Toole in attendance, club chairman Phil Mooney made the presentation to a number of players who between them had represented the club for well over 40 years.
A number of former players and their families attended the function in the media centre at the club including:
- Paddy Ginger O' Rourke, a member of the cup final team of ‚Äė51
- Harry O' Brien, a member of the 1959 cup winning side
- Johnny McGeehan, a great goal scorer also from that era
- Jim Mahon, a prolific goal-scorer who scored 69 goals in four season with the Saints
- Pat Kelch, a member of Brian Kerr's championship winning side of the late 80's and early 90's
Speaking on behalf of the club Pat O'Callaghan who helped organise the event said ‚Äúit's important as a club to remember our past players and to recognise their effort and achievements‚ÄĚ.
Addressing the former players, Pat said ‚Äúthe club would not be playing a match here today without the contribution of those who have gone before us‚ÄĚ, he added ‚Äúfootball, like life is transient and it's important to have days like these at our club and to say that you are not forgotten‚ÄĚ.
The club would like to thank Pat O'Callaghan for his help in organising this event and we hope to acknowledge more past players with future presentations.
Pictured on the day at the media centre are from left to right- John McGeehan son of former player, Johnny McGeehan and Paddy "Ginger" O'Rourke.