St Pats U21 3 Shels U21 0

  • Tue, Aug 23, 2005 @ 0:00

Goals from Alan Reilly, Joey Hayden and Peter Darcy sent the Saints into the semi-final of the Enda McGuill Cup tonight in Richmond Park.

The Saints were given the opportunity to take the lead after 16 minutes when Robbie Smith was wrestled to the ground in the box. Alan Reilly slotted the spot kick away to open the scoring.

It was just before the break when the game came to life again. With 3 minutes to go until the half time whistle, Luke Fitzpatrick had his shot saved by Delaney in the Shels goal having been put through one on one.

The pressure paid off right on 45 minutes when a David Bell cross from the left missed everybody and found its way to Joey Hayden on the far side of the penalty area. Unmarked he struck his shot sweetly to send the Saints in two up at the break.

Although Shelbourne had plenty of possession in the second half the best chances continued to fall to Paul Osam's side.

Just 5 minutes into the second period Robbie Smith's flash shot from the edge of the area just went wide. Fifteen minutes later Alan Reilly played Smith in once more but again his shot went agonisingly wide denying him the goal his performance deserved.

The goal of the game came in the 32nd minute of the second half. The Shels defence failed to clear a David Bell corner which saw the ball fall nicely to substitute Peter Darcy who volleyed home.

Stephen Quigley was unlucky not to make it 4 in the dying moments when his lob was tipped over.

St Pats: Clarke, Quigley, O'Shea, Sargeant, Frost; Fitzsimons (McMahon, 78), Perth, Hayden (Darcy, 59), Bell; Reilly (Olima, 88), Smith. subs not used: Byrne, Fitzsimons.

Next Fixture

Bohemians / September 22nd @ 7:45pm
Competition: League
Venue: Dalymount Park

Latest Tweets

League Table

Pos Team Pld Pts
1Cork City2770
3Shamrock Rovers2744
4Derry City2743
5Bray Wanderers2839
6Bohemian FC2837
8Sligo Rovers2831
9St. Patrick's Athletic2730
10Finn Harps2830
11Galway United FC2829
12Drogheda United2718